Sunday, March 15, 2020

This Is Quarantine: Day 4

Today I cleaned under my microwave and man, it felt good. Moved it right out of the way and scoured the counter underneath it so that now, when I peek under my microwave (you do that too, right?) I see a gorgeous, smooth surface and I can feel my blood pressure lowering. I think I'll do the drying rack next.

This is what Day 4 looks like.

It also looks like a lot of sibling love. Of course, there are moments of intense sibling displeasure as well...but they are being vastly overshadowed by a ton of giggling, teamwork, affection and blissful togetherness. I have to give heaps of credit to E for this one. e would likely spend every single moment of the day glommed onto E, given the opportunity, and I fully understand how old that can get. But E has not once in the last 4 days insisted on or even requested time away from e. We all need a break, and I've tried to be cognizant of that for everyone in the family, but so far E has been absolutely brilliant with her little sister. She has become Entertainer Extraordinaire, coming up with all kinds of activities and boredom busters to fill the days.

Face paint? Yes please!

Matching outfits? You bet!

Elaborate pretend play with dolls and animals and fairies and superheroes? Naturally.

Nature centre? Yippee!

Secret codes and covert plotting away from the spying eyes of mom and dad? Win-Win!

A big part of this has been tuning into the changes in tone and the flickers of frustration, to mediate when necessary and to perform social distancing within our social distancing. Sub-social distancing? Intra-social distancing? So many buzz phrases, and so much time to contemplate them! But the long and the short of it is that the kids are alright, and that means the family is alright.

However...

I've been struggling a bit with feelings of selfishness in a community sense. In times like these I think most of us would like to do something to help. And while I know, in theory, that by quarantining ourselves we are doing one of the most important things, I know that there are people who are struggling as a result of social distancing, and I feel powerless to help them.

Kids who rely on schools for food and safe spaces.

Homeless people who rely on the kindness of strangers to get them through each day.

Elderly and disabled people who already struggle to have their needs met being further isolated.

Every idea I have to try to reach these people and offer assistance seems to undermine the most important element of fighting this virus.

Can we set up food drop-off locations for people to make donations so that those who need it can come and get something to eat?

Can we set up some kind of volunteer network where people who are confined to their homes have items of necessity dropped at their doorstep?

How do we organize and mobilize these efforts from a distance, and without putting ourselves and our families at greater risk?

I'm going to keep thinking about it, and put some feelers out. This is the first feeler. I'd love to hear from anyone with experiences or ideas that might help us help others.

Metal detector Treasure Hunt!
Valuable treasure




No comments:

Post a Comment