Fast forward to present day. I called the landlord to ask about a few things. We need radiator covers and our bathroom needs some serious attention (new floor, bathtub and showerhead). He offered the upstairs apartment again, saying it would do him a favor because then they could come in and overhaul our apartment once it was vacant like they did with the upstairs unit. To sweeten the deal, he came down with the price again, so that we would only pay an extra $150 each month over what we pay now.
Here are the pros and cons:
1. Brand new bathroom floor and fixtures
2. Extra cabinet space in the kitchen
3. Great view (above other buildings, not looking into someone's living room)
4. Large storage hallway outside of unit (storage is a BIG issue for us)
5. Ceiling fans
6. Bedroom has a free-standing wardrobe that we don't have (no closet in bedrooms)
1. No bathtub (stand up shower) for bathing baby
2. Same layout, same ridiculously small kitchen and bathroom
4. More money
6. An extra set of stairs (total 3 flights)
Another thing to consider...we have no idea where we'll be after March 2011. Maybe here, maybe elsewhere in the U.S., maybe Canada. So it's possible that we'll be moving away in 7 months.