Friday, September 24, 2010

Some Kind of Wonderful


Today I hobnobbed with a celebrity.
Celebrities, in fact. It turns out that husband and wife are both Hollywood players.

I am starstruck by celebrities. It's a fact. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. Sure, it's much cooler to take the "They're just regular, selfish people who have been led to believe that they're better than everyone...yadda yadda yadda" stance. Yes, to a degree that's true. Some celebrities definitely don't deserve the status they've been given. I find them interesting and I'm not hunting down anyone's home address or lurking in the shadows of their children's schools. Heck, I'm not even the type that will ask for an autograph or a picture. I just like to look at them and enjoy a little proximity to them.

The way I see it, I struck up a conversation with a mom in the park, just like I do on an almost daily basis. And I certainly wouldn't ignore a normal mom based on what she did for a living. Take that, anti-celebs. Sure, I gushed a little more than I usually do. There were probably a couple more self-conscious giggles. And I don't usually tell the moms I meet that I think they're "fantastic"... although maybe I should do that more often.

And it was lovely. It felt just like I was talking to a "normal person". A friendly mom who probably (hopefully) didn't mind hearing that someone thinks she's swell, and who played along well enough to leave me with a smile on my face for the next few hours. Sure, it's a bit silly to get all girlishly excited over a complete stranger, but there it is. I am not cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment