Monday, April 27, 2020

This is Quarantine: Day 47

A few days ago I was thinking about how I should try to stop talking so much about food.

I thought, maybe I could go a whole post without mentioning food. It can't be that hard!

But then I thought, how will I tell people about our first campfire of the season, where we had s'mores cooked a little too long over the fire in cute little foil packets, because I bought mini marshmallows instead of full sized marshmallows and I was trying to win over my daughter, who wanted nothing more than to stick a giant marshmallow on a stick and burn it to a crisp?



It turns out that burning your own marshmallow on a stick is far preferable to your mom burning your s'mores packet. In case you were wondering.

So then I thought okay, after I tell them about that, I'll take a foodie break. Maybe even this whole week I'll make the effort to find other things to talk about. Branch out a bit. Find something new and exciting to write about.

But then I thought about how you haven't heard how my hamburger craving was finally satisfied! Surely you must be on the edge of your seats? It would be pretty insensitive not to let you know that on Friday I made the most flavourful, the juiciest, the most craving-obliterating burgers on the planet. I spent 45 minutes caramelizing onions to put into them. I was generous with the smoked paprika. I snuck grated veggies into them that no-one noticed except that I'm pretty sure they upped the juicy factor. (And I didn't tell anyone so don't spill the beans! Or carrots or broccoli, for that matter.) I slathered them with smoked gouda and sandwiched them between my favourite sesame seed brioche buns and made extra for the freezer to await my next craving. MY-LANTA they were perfect. I didn't even think to take a picture.

Shouldn't you know about that??

And today, as I was lovingly preparing a meal that tickles my fancy and I'm quite sure will tickle no one else's, I started wondering...what are my favourite herbs and spices? Is my Top 5 strange? It has changed over time, and is generally made up of things that I hadn't used much before until I saw a recipe that called to me. And then another. And then I was hooked! What is your Top 5?

Mine is:

1. Smoked paprika
2. Cilantro
3. Mint
4. Cinnamon
5. Turmeric

...

You can see my dilemma. What the heck else am I going to talk about?!

Then again, there is something to be said for playing to your strengths, right? Write what you know. Don't reinvent the wheel, and all that.

So I've made a decision.

If I feel like talking about food, I'm going to talk about food. Which means I'll probably continue to talk about food a lot. Sometimes I'll talk about other stuff. But maybe not.

In other words - Vive le status quo!

Here's a pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment