Friday, April 10, 2020

This is Quarantine: Day 30?!

If I hadn't been keeping a (mostly) daily log of this saga, I wouldn't never have believed that we are a MONTH in. 30 whole days.

I have more Tips for you! This one is a great pro tip that I've heard a few times over the years, but has never been more relevant. Ready?

You don't have to show up to every argument that you are invited to.

Good one, right? 

It's good advice anytime. But when the same four people are locked up together for 30 days straight, those invitations come fast and loose sometimes. And you can treat them the same way you treat anyone coming to the door these days. 

No thanks!
I can't see you!
Nobody's home!
*earmuffs* LALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!

Trust me. At best, you'll win half the battles. And half of the wins you'll probably end up feeling crummy about anyway. Those aren't good odds.

Practice the art of simply not responding. Change the subject. Agree to disagree. Walk away. Sing a silly song in your head. Pretend to fall asleep. Stuff your mouth full of food. Whatever it takes. But give it a try. We still have a long road ahead of us and there will be no shortage of invitations.

Now that that's out of the way, want to see how my very first loaf of sourdough turned out??


It was delicious. I tried to wait until it was completely cooled as per the instructions, but J is bigger and stronger than me, and has a real thing for PB&J on warm bread. The crust was perfectly crispy, the inside was soft and chewy and the flavour was that perfect hit of "sourness" that I don't get from the cheater recipe. It has a heck of a lot more steps and a much higher degree of uncertainty, but the process was also very satisfying. I'm trying another recipe tonight, and I'll keep you posted on the results.

We had J home today for Good Friday, and if anyone deserves a long weekend it's that guy. Everyone slept in, the TV stayed on for much longer than usual, and we kept up a snail's pace all day. We did ride a few roller coasters and ate a crap-ton of Cheerios in the name of making bird feeders. We went for a walk, about half of us showered and one bed got made. E made dinosoap for e, which was very well received. We had another frenetic FaceTime with the cousins and Aunt Kelly and a more relaxed FaceTime with GrammaPapa and Uncle Timbo. And we rounded out the evening watching Zootopia and eating more cake.

She started off in the basket, but preferred this arrangment.



The girls are still awake in their campsite. I can hear them taking turns being the one who is desperately trying to get to sleep and the one desperately trying to play games and stay awake all night. There was no nap today, so this could really blow up in my face, but I don't have any more bad cop in me tonight.

Que sera sera... 


No comments:

Post a Comment