Wednesday, April 15, 2020

This is Quarantine: Day 35

Today's culinary obsession: Cookies!

I was feeling sympathy for my husband today, who has been going into work every day, practicing medicine in a way he didn't sign up for and doesn't enjoy. His frustration was particularly palpable this morning, after the phones in his office went down yesterday, leaving him unable to contact his patients. He went in not knowing whether or not the situation would be resolved.

It got me thinking about what I could do to cheer him up. So naturally, food came to mind. He loves carrot cake, and I have an awesome recipe I haven't made in a while. When I suggested this to the girls, E thought cookies were a better idea. This reminded me that J had actually sent me an article last week with the recipe for the famous Doubletree Hotel cookies.

Jackpot.

If you haven't had the pleasure of these cookies, they are chocolate chip cookies on steroids. Specifically, oat and walnut steroids, and the fact that they're always warm doesn't hurt. The Doubletree Hotel hands them out to guests upon check-in, from a little warming drawer behind the check-in desk. They also sell them, but if you oh-so-innocently sidle up to the desk and inquire where one might be able to purchase some cookies for these adorable children beside you, you might just get lucky and gain access to the complimentary goods. So I've heard.

I guess the folks at Doubletree must have been brainstorming about how they could score some COVID goodwill credit, and someone came up with Let's release the top secret cookie recipe! 

Nailed it.

So we made them. Obviously.


Of course, E had her own ideas and that's how we ended up with this beauty:


Yes, that is, in fact, a chocolate chip cookie pizza topped with chocolate sauce, peanut butter chips and chocolate caramels. Good eye!

Go ahead, have another look:


So don't worry too much about us over here. Aside from requiring every item of clothing we wear to be composed primarily of Spandex, we're good.

No comments:

Post a Comment