Monday, April 20, 2020

This is Quarantine: Day 40

Today is my mama's birthday. Her 80th birthday. Don't worry, she won't mind that I told you. She would mind, however, if I missed ANOTHER day of blogging. So this one's for you, mom!

I tell you, birthdays during a pandemic are pretty crapola. I guess the way things are going though, most of us will probably end up getting to experience it once, which will make all subsequent celebrations infinitely sweeter.

In light of this shiny round number, we loosened the restrictions, but only just a tad. We met up with mom and dad at the park across the street from their apartment building. We stayed 6-ish feet apart, most of the time. We hugged virtually and blew kisses. It was a beautiful sunny day, and we got some free entertainment watching the kiddos run around and try to befriend some geese. We busted into a giant peanut butter cup I made for the occasion and spread out at a picnic table for a few minutes. It was quick, but it was nice.

Earlier we had a zoom party with the whole family minus J - my brother in Alberta, my sister-in-law and nieces in BC, and the girls and I and my parents, along with 3 pooches. It was chaotic, as it always is. There were video hiccups, a completely disjointed rendition of Happy Birthday, multiple background changes and some musical chairs. At one point there was a recorder concerto that consisted of a single note played repeatedly at full volume. That was nice.

There are plans for a family reunion in BC in July that are hanging by the finest of threads, and seeing all of our faces together on one screen today made my heart ache a little for what might not be this summer. But, as is more and more common these days, I reminded myself of everything I am grateful for. Everyone is healthy. We can still all be together, though in a different way.

My mom is one of those people who isn't easily disappointed, and I'm hoping that today was as lovely as she was hoping for. And if it wasn't, we'll just have to make it up to her for 81.

Love you mom!

Here's a throwback to a fun memory from last summer, when we were allowed to go out and do stuff:





No comments:

Post a Comment