Sunday, April 5, 2020

This is Quarantine: Day 25

Let me just start by saying that I love my children dearly and I try my best to accept and appreciate them for who they are...however...

WHAT KIND OF PERSON FORGETS THAT SHE HAS A SNAKE AROUND HER NECK??!!!


People I am telling you, as much as my husband tests me, this girl...whew.

So that's how my day started.

I came downstairs to the usual scene - the girls flaked out on the couch, e watching Paw Patrol, E playing a game on her iPad. I hung out with them for a bit, got myself a coffee and them some cereal to keep them going, and eventually I went into the kitchen to make breakfast sandwiches. J joined me after a few minutes, and a few minutes after that we heard a panicked "Dad! DAD! Dad!Dad!Dad!Dad!Dad!Dad!Dad!!!

Silly me, I thought she saw something super cool in the backyard. So naive.

Nope. She realized, at roughly 10am, that the snake that she had placed around her neck (her unsettling new habit) and brought downstairs at 7:30am was missing. I assured her that when I came down at 9am there was most definitely no snake on her person. Which meant that for at least an hour now, a snake has been on the loose in the house. Again.

Long story short, there was a lot of searching, and as I sit here at 9:18pm, in roughly the same spot where the snake first went missing over 12 hours ago, he is still at large.

Now perhaps you're thinking that I seem quite calm for someone who is any moment away from a face to face meeting with a python. This is true. I am quite calm. I am feeling much, much calmer than I was the first time this happened, only six days after Thriller first came home.

I'm not quite so terrified of finding it in the laundry, in the toilet, in my bed (ugh...okay, still terrified about the bed). I am not quite so terrified of running into it unexpectedly, mostly because I know that I won't be alone in the house any time soon, so there will always be someone who will respond to my screams and deal with the retrieval.

Mostly, I'm just bewildered (no, too mild)...flummoxed? dumbfounded? that someone that I created can so absentmindedly coexist with a python. I mean, where did I go wrong???

Mostly kidding.

What else happened today?

A Jenga Personal Best! 33 completed levels. Beat that! No, seriously. If someone can do better than that I want to hear about it.


We soaked up some sun, had another family workout, skipped someone's nap, regretted it deeply, got her to bed, watched the other one thaw a mouse and place it directly under my seat, and here we are.

And now, just for you, some Closing Thoughts...

There are lots of lists and quizzes and questionnaires going around these days. Man, we're bored. As a result, here's a list that has been composing itself in my head over the last week or so:

Top Eleven Things I Promise I Will Never Take For Granted Ever Again
(in no particular order)

11. A fully stocked grocery store

10. Hugs

9. The freedom to decide, at any moment, to stop at a store, grab a coffee or go out for dinner

8. Earning an income

7. Teachers

6. Housekeepers

5. Universal health care

4. Coffee dates, girls' nights and Cooking Club

3. Travelling

2. Essential service workers

1. My health, and the health of my loved ones






No comments:

Post a Comment