Saturday, April 25, 2020

This is Quarantine: Day 45

We felt it today. What we're missing. We woke up to a glorious Saturday morning. A lovely surprise, as I had expected a rainy weekend and was prepared for a lot of indoor time. But when I saw the sun and the thermostat in double digits, my plans changed in an instant. 

What should we do??

Where should we go??

Oh, right. 

Not much. Not far.

I'm willing to bet one million smackers that, in a parallel non-COVID universe, today would have been our first long walk to Black Walnut of the season. Several times a year, from about May through October, we grab Gryff and head out along the Thames Valley Parkway, from Gibbons Park, through Harris Park and City Park into Wortley Village, where we rest our feet and fill our bellies at our favourite bakery. It's about 4 1/2km one way, and I am always surprised at a) how short it feels and b) how everyone still has energy for the walk home. I think everyone recognizes that the reward is well worth the effort. Plus, there are several playgrounds, climbing trees and lots of riverside to entertain us along the way. 

Today would have been that day for sure. We all thought it. We all mourned it. And then we got over ourselves.

We took Gryff to a nice open space for a run. We laid on the grass in the sun and checked out the clouds. We held hands and gave shoulder rides and even did a scavenger hunt along the way. We almost had ice cream and brownie sundaes as a reward when we got home, but some ornery behaviour put a hold on that.

We went for a drive, checking out a few houses for sale (not moving, but always looking) and drove through a few of our favourite neighbourhoods. When the kids got bored enough we went home and had a re-do on the ice cream sundaes. 

We went to my happy place. The girls poked around and explored while I found the perfectly angled fallen tree branch on which to recline for one of those perfect little dozes where you can't be totally sure that you nodded off, but definitely achieved maximum relaxation for a few minutes.

J and the girls are still down there somewhere, but someone had to come up and get going on the pizza dough. So here I am, having whipped up some dough and cleaned the kitchen in peace and quiet, letting the dough do it's thing while I mix up a cocktail and chat with you from my sunny little conservatory. 

It almost makes me feel like I may not have missed much after all.

Shenanigans in the Sunshine




No comments:

Post a Comment