Wednesday, April 1, 2020

This Is Quarantine: Day 21

I'd like to say a little thank you to the people who checked in with me today. It's a nice feeling and I'm lucky to know some really lovely folks.

Today had some delicious stuff going on, which always helps to reset one's frame of mind.

I made my tried and true cheater sourdough to go with broccoli soup from the freezer tonight. And, just to kick things up a notch because...broccoli soup...I made grilled cheeses out of the sourdough. Woah. Yes. 


And in a spark of resourcefulness, I decided that there could be a great learning experience for E (and myself) in the land of bread making! I make cheater sourdough, which means that I use active dry yeast to make it. We are lucky enough to still have an unopened jar of yeast in the pantry, but I hear the store shelves are lacking in that department too. I've often thought of trying to make a sourdough starter, but laziness has always gotten the better of me. Well, the moment is finally here! 

Today I did a little research into the topic, then I had E read an article and answer questions all about yeast and starters and the process of making them. And tomorrow we're going for it! Wish us luck. I will no doubt keep you apprised of our progress.

Also today I felt a hankering for some comfort baking, and was delighted when E said she was thinking the same thing. She decided she wanted to try making chocolate chip cookies all on her own, and who am I to argue with a top-notch idea like that?

Yes, it did mean that I had to stand patiently by while she took just shy of 2 hours to do a job that normally takes me inside of half an hour. And yes, given that we embarked on this journey at 8pm, this meant that I was forced into continuing to parent long after I prefer to be doing so. But the results...


I mean, come on. Worth it.

Unfortunately, Miss e continues to be under the weather. Fever seems to be her only real symptom, and it's running rather high, but we're crossing our fingers that with a day or two of steady medication she'll be back on top in no time. 

Did anyone else notice that it was April Fool's Day today? It seems to have gone by largely unacknowledged, which I found a bit odd. I heard something about it being discouraged this year, and I honestly think that's a missed opportunity. I mean, we're all going crazy with boredom with nowhere to go...why not spice things up a little and maybe make it feel like you're not scaling the same four walls for a day? 

J and I took a picture of us kissing and make it the wallpaper on E's iPad. For those of us who are familiar with her recent abhorrence of kissing, you'll recognize how perfect it was. Very satisfying. She deleted it immediately, but don't worry. I keep changing it back when she's not looking. E and e left all kinds of little surprises around the house for me in places I'd least expect them, notes and pieces of paper that would magically re-appear after I removed them. E got both J and I with the old take-the-batteries-out-of-the-remote trick. And the girls and I removed some pictures from frames and replaced them with various celebrities and models. I was particularly excited to see how long it took J to notice, and so was very disappointed when e took him by the hand and pointed each one out to him as soon as he got home. Don't worry, she's grounded.




It was a fun bit of the unexpected in an otherwise monotonous reality lately. And who couldn't use that?

Did anyone else celebrate April Fool's Day today? I need some material for next year. 






No comments:

Post a Comment