Sunday, December 26, 2010

Let it snow!

Really, New York?

It's hard to buy that tough image when all I hear is "Man, it's freezing! I'm so cold! I gotta get inside!" as my toddler and I are enjoying a leisurely stroll in the sunshine, the temperature hovering just above freezing.
A garbage collector called out to me "You're a trooper! You're out in this weather?!" I thought he was being sarcastic.
The manager at the butcher shop let me cut in line so I could get "the baby home and out of the cold". I graciously accepted the offer to avoid a 15 minute wait.
The park was empty, only two other kids showed up to gym class, and anyone brave enough to be out with a stroller had their child completely encapsulated and sealed in plastic. I wondered if E was as confused as I was, or if she was taking mental notes on parental negligence for her memoirs.

All of this took place on Thursday, just three days before the skies opened up and gave us an honest-to-goodness winter blizzard, the likes of which I haven't seen in years. It started around 2:00 this afternoon and it hasn't shown any signs of waning. It's supposed to continue until 6:00 tomorrow evening. It's kind of cold, but mostly it's windy as all get out and snowing like the dickens.

We were on the road today, and almost made it home before the snow started. By the time we pulled up to our house, there were already several inches on the ground. As soon as E's feet hit the sidewalk she yelled - "It's snowing! It's snowing EVERYWHERE!" She buried her hands in the snow and yelled - "Ahhhh!!! I put my hands in it!!!" I made her promise that we can go outside first thing in the morning and do snow angels. She made sure I knew where her snowsuit was.

Let's show these New Yorkers how it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment