Monday, December 20, 2010

It's pronounced "Lou-uh-vul"

I'm sitting in a cozy king size bed at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky, trying to type as quietly as possible so as not to wake "she who wakes up at the sound of a feather escaping from the duvet", marvelling at the fact that we really have gotten lucky lately with our little bundle of toddler. A few days ago during our grand Macy's adventure she didn't complain once through hours of waiting around. And today, her day started when I woke her up at 6:55am, threw her into a new diaper and some clothes, strapped her into a carseat and whisked her off to the airport. She grinned, she chatted, she saw the sights and happily ate her blueberries and yogurt in gridlock. Once we got to the airport she sat happily while we wheeled her around from check-in to security, stood patiently by as we disassembled our belongings and all but stripped naked to get through security and then repeated the process in reverse. She was a delightful passenger on the first flight, so easily entertained that we didn't even have to break out the computer for an emergency episode of The Ant and the Aardvark. While waiting for our next flight she jogged around the gate and counted planes, rode the escalator a few times and weaved in and out of people's legs looking for mama and dada in the crowds. But for one tiny little two minute crank before peacefully falling asleep in my arms on flight #2, there was not a titch of discontent felt by us or those poor souls around us holding their collective breath for the other shoe to drop. We looked for penguins on the drive to the hotel, we spun around in circles on our walk through downtown Louisville, we got hit with a "How y'all doin'?" almost as soon as we stepped out of the hotel, we watched football at the Creole restaurant, and we rolled around on the bed "like Ralph!" in the hotel. We bathed in a "giant bathtub!", we watched a little Fantastic Mr. Fox, we had a "dance with Mama and Dada!" in the Crystal Ballroom, and we played peek-a-boo in the closet. We had a full day, and it was awesome. Tomorrow we'll hang out some more while J has his interview, and then I have every bone in my body crossed that we get just as lucky tomorrow night for the trek back to the Apple.

Y'all have a good night now.

No comments:

Post a Comment