Wednesday, September 21, 2011

It's a little idealistic, but it just might work.

I'm wondering if you can all try something with me.

I think we can all agree that some people out there just - as my friend B-dawg so eloquently puts it - suck the mustard. There is such a thing as a bad egg, a bad apple, a total jerk.

HOWEVER...here's what I propose:

99% of people are essentially good people, and are just doing their best.

I got cut off in traffic the other day. Have I never cut anyone off, and can I not come up with a single scenario in which it was unintended and in which the driver might feel badly?

A salesperson was rude to me. Have I never snapped at someone who didn't deserve it (see: husband) for any number of reasons and later wished I could handle the situation differently?

People have different opinions from mine. Does that really have to mean that they have obviously not thought things through, or aren't as intelligent as me, or that they are wrong? Is there no room to agree to disagree, and to acknowledge that differences are not deficiencies?

As shamelessly cliche as it has come to be, I have never heard my philosophy for life summed up so precisely as this:

"Can't we all just get along?"

Come on, let's give it a whirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment