Friday, May 6, 2011

The Potty Page!



Here is my official, we're-doing-this-thing, real kick at the can (ha!) with potty training. Up until now it's been here and there, hit and miss, a little of this and a little of that, but no pressure, no system and, not surprisingly, mixed results. But it's pretty obvious that she's ready, and I wouldn't mind ditching the diapers (one less thing to do), so the only thing holding us back is sheer laziness on my part. Committing to potty training is kind of daunting. Spending all of her waking hours on high alert, looking for signs, trying to anticipate nature's call, convincing her that she wants to sit on the potty instead of play with her dollhouse, eat raisins, do big jumps or chase the dogs. It seems like a lot of work. For the grown-ups, there's no getting around it. It will be a slog. But for the kid, I figure we might as well try to make it as fun as possible. So I'm going with the old tried-and-true. STICKERS!

Every time she pees or poos, she gets a sticker. And I'm no scrooge - #1 and #2 in the same session means 2 stickers. Also, if she goes as a result of telling me she wants to go - another sticker! Today is Day 2, and it's going pretty well so far (witness 7 stickers above). The obvious hang-ups of the false alarm to get the sticker, or the I-don't-care-about-stickers-right-now routine will happen, but I'm ready for them. Also, I find that keeping her bottom naked helps. For whatever reason she's much more reluctant to pee and poo on the floor than I would have anticipated. So, turn up the heat because there's about to be way more NAKED BABY TIME, and I can't think of anyone who would object to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment