Saturday, November 20, 2010

I should be sleeping...

...because I know that E will wake me up at some point and J is working overnight and won't be able to take over when I reach my boiling point...

...but we had the most awesome day today and I just have to share.

J's aunt called us this morning to see if we would be interested in going to the New York Aquarium with her and her two boys, whom my girl loves beyond comprehension. She loves them so much that she has morphed them in her mind into one amazing entity: WillieJohn. Sometimes she can tell them apart, sometimes she can't. But it doesn't matter because she only ever sees them together and she loves the pants off of them.



After watching the kids oooh and aaah over fish of all shapes and sizes for an hour or two, we raced over to the cinema just in time for a 4-D showing of a 15 minute short of The Polar Express with Tom Hanks. E has never seen a movie. And this was 4-D. I didn't even know what that meant. She was MESMERIZED from the moment she donned the glasses. And by the way, multi-D glasses have made great strides since the cardboard red/blue lens days. These were proper shades. Geeky shades, mind you, but I almost needed to steal a pair. Oh, relax, I returned them. E's too. She sat on my lap transfixed, so much so that J and I repeatedly checked that her eyes were open. She loved it. We went twice. The 4th D, in case you're as out of touch as I was, involves being sprayed lightly with mist and having air blown on your neck and bubbles fall from the ceiling. It's pretty freakin' cool. It reminded me of the Indiana Jones show at Universal Studios circa 20 years ago...ouch. I think that is still my favourite ride ever. Anyway, as first movie experiences go, this one was pretty sweet. And a great kick-off to the Christmas extravaganza blowout we intend to expose E to this year, now that she's old enough to appreciate it. This evening while walking Ralph she asked "Where's Hallowe'en decorations?" My response was "Oh, just wait, love. Just you wait." I can't wait for Christmas.


But I've slid off-track. After the Aquarium we took a stroll on the boardwalk, being in Coney Island, and spent a few minutes on the beach at the insistence of the under-7 crowd, building sandcastles and trying to avoid the broken glass. Once we convinced Willie to put his shoes back on we went in search of food and landed in Brooklyn's Chinatown, where we had an outstanding meal of dim sum at Pacificana.




By the time we got home we were giddy and exhausted. J napped for about 45 minutes before heading out for his overnight shift, and E and I did a little playing and reading before she dropped off to sleep right on time. And in the midst of all this fun, I wrote just over 3000 words today.

Quite a nice little Saturday indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment