Sunday, November 7, 2010

Coincidence? Or Kentucky???

So how's this for weird?

A few years ago I started writing a book. It was during J's first year of medical school when I had oodles of time and buckets of inspiration at my fingertips. The project got waylaid at some point, but it took place in Brooklyn. I had no way of knowing at the time that I would end up living in Brooklyn, let alone a 15 minute walk from where my main character lived. When I picked up the story again earlier this year, I was struck by the coincidence.

Fast forward to present day. I am currently writing another book. It takes place partly in New York, partly in Europe, but at one point it travels to Louisville, Kentucky. Why Kentucky? I'm not sure. I was going for a random city in the United States, one that I didn't know much about and that wasn't a major center. Louisville just kind of popped in to my head. And later that day...that day, people...J got an interview for a residency program at the University of Louisville, in Kentucky.

Pretty weird, right?

So...maybe Kentucky?

By the way, am I the only one who thought the Colonel was from the deep south? Kentucky is just down the road! Somehow fried chicken from the Midwest just doesn't seem like the real deal. Which kind of explains KFC, now that I think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment