Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Thank you, Mom.

E likes to be "checked on" after she goes to bed. And when I say after, I mean immediately after. We say goodnight, we close the door, and then we open it back up to "check" on her. She loves it, we love it, and that's why we do it. It started one night when E was sick, and one of us said that we would check on her before we went to bed. Then another night when J wasn't getting home until late and he said he would check on her when he got home. The downside of all of this late night checking was that E wasn't awake to enjoy it. So she started asking to be checked on right away. Pretty cute, if you ask me.

Anyhoo, we still often check on her before we go to bed. J more than I, because I seem to have a knack for waking her up, whereas J has the stealth of a ninja. But last night J wasn't home and I felt the need to check so I did and, naturally, woke her up. She sat bolt upright in bed and said in a sleep-filled sad little whine "Mom, I'm not sleeping very well tonight." (Her grammar always astounds me.) So I got her to lay back down, I stroked her back and sang a lullaby that I made up when she was a teeny tiny little baby. She likes to do things that we did when she was a teeny tiny little baby sometimes, and that suits me just fine.

Go to sleep, little baby
It is time to go to sleep now
Go to sleep, little baby
It is time to go to sleep

Your daddy is asleep
Your dog Ralph is too
Your mama wants to sleep
So we're waiting on just you

ad infinitum...

After two rounds, throwing in the grandparents and friends for good measure, I gave her a kiss and hoped to steal away into the night unnoticed. Only she did notice. But instead of complaining or asking for more singing, she just said "Thank you, Mom."

Be still my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment