Friday, February 17, 2012

ATE Episode #1: The Basics

M: What is the Number One Most Important Rule in this family?

E: I don't know.

M: You have to think about it.

E: I think about it but I don't know even more.

(after some discussion of how knowing the "right" answer isn't really necessary, just give your best "educated guess"...we move on)

M: Okay. What do you think is the Number One Most Important Rule in our family?

E: Um. Um. No hitting and no kicking.

M: That's a very good rule. Next question: What is the Number One Most Important Rule at School?

E: No jumping and no running and no hitting and no jumping on friends.

M: What is mama's favourite thing to eat?

E: Um, shrimp?

M: (dipped in chocolate, maybe...) Okay, and what about dada?

E: I don't know.

M: If you had to guess...

E: I. Don't. Know. Can you please take the lid off of my hot chocolate cup?

M: What is mama's favourite thing to do?

E: Play with me!

M: What is dada's favourite thing to do?

E: Play with me too!

M: Where would you like to go on a trip?

E: To...Hawaii! And Cosmic Adventures, 'kay?....
...I would like another nap. After this whole thing here (gestures toward computer).

M: Last question. If you could be any animal, what would you be?

E: A giraffe.

M: Why?

E: (pulls down shirt) Look how long neck I have!

~

This is the first installment of what I hope to be many discussions with The Expert about various issues. I have learned from this inaugural episode that my daughter is quite firmly planted in the real world and is the kind of student who might leave a question blank on a test rather than write a bunch of nonsense in the hopes of part marks. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Please feel free to submit your question for The Expert. I'm sure she'll be happy to field it, unless of course she Doesn't. Know. The Answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment