Monday, June 20, 2011

Truth and Context

"God made me better at one thing than anyone else. And that's being me."

What is your first impression of that statement? When I read it, I felt that it was a very grounding, reassuring affirmation, one that I feel I should adopt and repeat to myself as necessary. I think it is a profound and universal truth, so long as one leaves room for interpretation on the God bit.

The funny thing is, I read this in an article about a billionaire and his wife, and their over the top lifestyle. This was one of Mrs. Billionaire's "offensive" and "appalling" public statements that have apparently earned them much disdain, even among their well-to-do peers. The other outrageous remark she had the nerve to utter into a microphone?

"I do what I want."

Hmm. Good for her? We should all be so lucky? I can't say that I'm particularly offended by these choice words. Spoiled? Most likely. Materialistic? Without a doubt. Do I want them as my bffs? Probably not. They have way too much money and they flaunt it. They strive to be noticed and to be the biggest and the best with the most stuff. But in the midst of all of that, I have to say that Mrs. Bigshot makes some pretty good observations. And once you take it out of the context of wearing feathers and sequins to drop your kids off at school and clamouring for attention at charity events, I like to think that other readers of the article might come to the same conclusions.

p.s. It's nice to be back.

1 comment: