Saturday, March 28, 2020

This is Quarantine: Day 17

It's the Weekend!

After a week of some lovely highs and a few too many lows, we barely limped over the finish line on Friday.

So imagine my surprise and delight to be presented with breakfast and coffee on a tray by my perfectly perfect children this morning! And in an example of positive reinforcement in action, when they jokingly asked for jars of nutella for breakfast, their efforts were duly rewarded:


I kept the bar low for today. No grand plans, no lofty goals, and a very loose leash on screen time.

I did set some standards though. Not inclined to face another endless series of My Little Pony/Paw Patrol/Peppa Pig nonsense, I queued up The Incredibles.

As a result, e spent most of the rest of the day running laps around the house and the neighbourhood as your favourite superhero and mine, complete with tag lines:

Super Girl! "Into the night we SAVE THE DAY!"

Or sometimes,
Infra Red! "We're ON A ROLL!"

Or, during our reprise of last week's wildly successful family workout,
Workout Girl! "Workout girl is GOOD ENOUGH!"

I really get Workout Girl.

I also spent some time revising my meal plan. I tried to err on the conservative side, so that when I went to whip up the chickpea salad I had slated for dinner (much to my family's chagrin), I realized that we already have several leftover meals in the fridge. So, I pushed the salad to tomorrow (much to my family's delight), and decided to finish the curried lentil soup from earlier in the week (back to chagrin).

Understanding that this might not have been anyone's favourite meal, I decided to try to jazz it up a little. The original recipe had cubes of fried paneer to top the soup, which I just skipped. But today, I wondered if fried feta might be a thing...and it is! I found a really neat sounding recipe and threw it together while the reheating the soup on the stove. I added a box of breadsticks to the mix and voila! Leftovers, revived!


To be honest, the consensus declared the boxed breadsticks to be the star of the show. But not to worry, I'm no stranger to pulling off a big finish:









No comments:

Post a Comment