Tuesday, June 2, 2020

This is Quarantine: Day 83

Quarantine Mission Accomplished!

I finally got around to the bagels.

We've accomplished a lot, my starter and I. Sandwich bread, boules, cinnamon buns and even english muffins. Rave reviews all around. But all along I've had my eye on the bagels.

A mighty adversary for something that looks so much like a doughnut.

And there's an extra layer of challenge to the undertaking, knowing that you will most certainly not please everyone.

There are the New York bagel champions, who enjoy the thick, bready texture that holds up to a half pound of cream cheese. These are the bagels my kids clamour for.

Then there is the Montreal contingent, who like a bit of fight in their bagel, with a chewiness that makes you work for it. I am a Montrealer at heart.

There are an infinite number of bread vehicles offering a thick, pillowy texture. The bagel, in my opinion, is special because of its divergence from this path. It is sturdy and stubborn, able to shine under an endless array of toppings. It can be simple and humble, elegant and refined, rustic and hearty. It can fill any category. There isn't much a bagel can't do.

It is even supremely portable. I can eat my bagel with one hand, while popping another on my pinky for my toddler while we take a neighbourhood stroll. Depending on the length and spread of your fingers you might even be able to take a couple for the road.

I'll be honest. They take a long time, and you end up with 8 bagels. So basically, if you live in my house, it takes about 26 hours to make something that will last about 26 hours. I had actually decided, when they were rising for the second time, that I would not be doing this again. Between the starter activation, the first rise, the shaping, the second rise, the boiling and THEN the baking...I mean come on. Sometimes you just have to say enough is enough.

And then I tried them. And forgot about everything else except that perfect. texture. 26 hours is a very small price to pay.








No comments:

Post a Comment